Botanistix

Monday, September 19, 2011

carrots, garlic & snakes

Hi,


I enjoyed summer so much.  I was in NY for the Gift show sourcing all kinds of unusual things for my Botanistix.  Of course, I made it to the Union Square Farmers Market, a personal favorite of mine for many years. Look at the beautiful table of carrots!  Staying in a hotel, I barley bought anything except wonderful garlic.  I bought 6 fabulous heads and I am enjoying them immensely, clove by clove.  At a $1.75/head, they are worth every penny.  There is such a difference with really fresh garlic.  The cloves actually drip on my cutting board. Amazing.
 How beautiful is this carrot display?  There is such a great vibe at a good market.  People are relaxed.  They are trying to decide which piece of fruit is the one that will end up in their kitchen.  At that moment, its a very important decision.  You can hear couples saying, "no, I think this one is better."  If you love selection and find food in quantity as pretty as art, the Union Square Markets area must see on a trip to Manhattan... and feel free to bring me some garlic!
I will be in Italy this month and I have already sourced the location of the markets.  I will attend multiples, I am sure...photos to follow!

I had a surprise the other day on a relaxing Saturday as I brought the newspapers in and was on the phone with my husband who was out of town.  I reached my front door area and from one of my large pots jumped a baby black snake!  And there he was flailing in front of me on my beautiful doormat!  I am screaming into the phone and my heart is beating like crazy!  Every time I moved,  he moved,  so creepy.  Of course, After I got inside I had to photograph him- see him on the right side 1/2 way up? Admittedly, he looks small, but he moved about 8" each time just by propelling his body forward.  He was in my planter that I had just trimmed back the week before!  I had my hands all over it...scary.  Welcome to Florida!

I have also been enjoying the quiet before the storm here in Naples.  The quiet is of course is summer and the storm is the return of the snowbirds.  Our town becomes a 10- 15 minute town- you can get anywhere in 15 minutes here in summer- not so during the season.  The same is true with restaurants and no reservations.  However, after all of the quiet, we look forward to the hubbub of season.  Its already mid Sept and I see more out of town license plates.  Soon, it will be buzzing here.

My dendrobium orchids that I have planted on my trees ( with pantyhose to attach  them) are really in full regalia.  This photo does not do it justice.  So,  I am getting beautiful color from the house.  Love it!

Its not perfect living anywhere.  I really do hate snakes, cannot even look at  them on TV.  HOWEVER,
my little guy, and his mother ( oh, God, where is she?) really do eat alot of our Florida critters, or so I am told.  I am going with that.  That glass is 1/2 full!

Anyone who loves their garden can relate to the following quote.  


Half the interest of a garden is the constant exercise of the imagination.  ~Mrs. C.W. Earle, Pot-Pourri from a Surrey Garden, 1897 (Thanks, Jessica)
until next time...Christi

No comments:

Post a Comment