Botanistix

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Summertime & the living is easy

From all accounts of friends all of the country, this is a collectively hot summer.  Here in Naples, I think Summer, so far has been warm but not overly so.  Our afternoon rains have kicked in and that keeps our evening temps quite reasonable and usually with a breeze.

I have been planting orchids all over my trees so in the Fall and next Spring I will be rewarded with orchids blooms waving at me from all over the yard.  Last week while in Atlanta for the gift show,  I went to the wonderful Atlanta Botanical Gardens.  Its always exciting to see what the 'professionals' do to really make a regular tree unique. As you can see this simple plant was woven into the trunk with moss and it had such an etherial look...really outstanding.  The same was true for ground covers  One of the most simple called Dichondra Silver Falls,  planted en masse was spectacular!  The silver really
came out in the sun.  The legs you see were on headless bodies- loved it!
Another ground cover,  the name I do not know, ( but its very common) is below.  Simple plantings done en masse can have a far reaching effect, much like a room decorated in a monochromatic scheme.
I have already been to my garden center 3 times this week.  Let me see what comes out of this!

I hope you are all enjoying the fruits of your planting labors so far this Summer.  Time is flying by, that is for sure.

The expression I want to leave you with was on a plaque at the ABGardens...as you can see I missed they y on enjoy but you get the drift.  That Epicurus was pretty smart!





No comments:

Post a Comment