Botanistix

Monday, June 13, 2016

Tending to my Botanical Garden

Each year before the rainy season and after friends have given me their unwanted orchids,  I spend a back braking day, repotting and disassembling orchids from their pots and putting them on selected trees. The medium breaks down so quickly in our temperatures and rain and I prefer the bark to the  moss, so that is what I use to repot.   I also find fresh medium holds my botanistix stakes better if things are nice and tight inside the pot.  Its a long day (5 hours) but next season, the plants will reward me with beautiful blooms.

I take a good look at what bloomed on which tree and I look for telltale signs that this type of orchid was not happy on a certain tree.  For instance, last year during this process I had separated a large cattleya and attached them to different trees only to be disappointed that not one bloomed in the year.  They were in too much shade!  I lost a whole year on that mistake.   This year, they are on a tree that gets sun and its right outside of our bedroom, so I expect to be enjoying colorful cattleyas next blooming cycle.  I love to open the shutters in the morning to see my orchid blooms smiling at me!

WhenI started this process 9 years ago, I included bromeliads on the trees.  I like the look of the 2 together but I really do not add anymore now.  I pay attention to when the  mother plant needs to be removed, then the pups take over.

Our rainy season really has not begun yet. Collin came through last week and gave us some needed rain but now we are back to very dry conditions.  I attached my new orchids lower on the trees so they will get the water from the irrigation until God takes over watering.

This year I decided to try attaching 3 orchids to a potted tree we have at the front door entrance.  Its covered so I will have to water them. I will be so excited when they bloom since the front door is glass.  How pretty from inside. When I have the Botanistix Open House in Nov, I may have spikes!

I am so happy its done and yes I have big expectations for next season!  Here is a visual for you.


Ready to go onto the trees

As you can see, the pantyhose color is navy- so stylish! I cover my handiwork with moss.

Cattleyas in the sunny tree this time.

This will be my test.  Its at the front door and I will have to water them!




















This was the view from the side yard this Spring.   Orchid Alley!

No comments:

Post a Comment