Botanistix

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

                                                    WHATS YOUR VIEW?

Its a simple but often overlooked element of a room’s design, the view.  Of course if you have a built in view like a body of water or mountains, all the better. Most of us need to create our views.

Whether you are newly home from your winter in Florida or you are a Naples full timer, this is the time to make what you see from your windows something special for you.  I have tried over the past few years to make my window views something that attracts me as I walk by.  In our bedroom when I wake up and open the shutters, the first thing I see are my orchids and bromeliads growing on the palms and the blue sky vine growing on the wall behind them. Its taken years to get the vine all the way over on the wall, but its beautiful now.  Patience, its a virtue!  




Outside of the kitchen window I have added colorful orchids and interesting bromeliads that attract my attention to the dual palm tree.  Each summer I add to the trees knowing that the view will be even better next year.  Its very much like when perennials are in the ground for several years, they really come to life.  The garden eventually becomes the photo you had in your mind originally.

When I am at the kitchen sink, I want to be able to look at something interesting which takes the focus off the not so interesting chore of the dishes.  Outside I have 3 large planters with eye catching color combinations to attract my eyes and all of a sudden, the dishes are done! 

Recently, I hung an unused chandelier on the tree outside of my dining room. When I entertain I use small battery operated candelabra lights and everything glistens.  I also keep glass ornaments on the tree.  When the lights are on, the reflection on the glass makes me do a double take.  Its all about keeping it 
interesting, if only for ourselves.


If your front  door is glass like ours, the view needs to be considered from both sides.  I chose a tall heavily textured pot planted with a tree, flowers and glass Botanistix stakes. The look is welcoming from the outside and pretty for us from the foyer.



In our study, we have a very tall window that gives great natural light.   The bougainvillea planted just outside is very tall on one side of the window and it washes the fuchsia color on the interior wall.  Something as simple as this color splash is just so beautiful.



  

Our hot and rainy summer means everything grows at an alarming rate which makes it a great time to plant.  Its the perfect time to plan for next season’s views.  


  

No comments:

Post a Comment