Botanistix

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Mystery of Orchids Revealed!

Not only is Costco a leader in orchid sales here in the SW Florida area, I would say they are among the 1st to really hit on a remedy to what kills orchids faster than anything.  We are talking about overwatering!

The buzz is that the Costco orchids now come with a mini 'cup' of sorts, which is the perfect amount of water the plant needs to thrive for a week.  Excuse me,  I thought it couldn't get any easier than
"put 3 ice cubes on the plant once/week."  Apparently, there needed  to be an (another) easier way.   I water all of my orchids once every 2 weeks unless when I put my finger in the pot, it comes out wet.  Sometimes, moss will still be wet after 2 weeks.  That is why when I replant I use bark not moss.  Its much more predictable.

Speaking of replanting, I have been at it recently.  Many people are intimidated by separating the plants and repotting.  In my experiences, orchids are very forgiving.  I cut out all of the thin wiry roots and make room for the roots that are plump & supple. Also important in the process, I soak the bark for a day before I replant the orchid.  It retains water so much better.  If you don't presoak, the first few waterings just run through the medium and you will need to water more frequently.  I also wet the  roots just to plump them up a bit before they go into the new pot.  I usually repot in plastic pots since I like to bring blooming orchids inside and put them in arrangements in large pots.  Some people will only use terra-cotta since it dries out so well.  Both pots have performed well for me but I do not want the bulk of the terra-cotta. Pot size is also important.  It is frustrating when I have moved the orchid up a pot size (perhaps too early) and it takes longer for the bloom cycle to begin.  I suppose the roots are getting comfy in their new digs.   Lastly, hold off on the temptation to fertilize right a way for the same reason, the roots are just finding their way. Let them relax at least until the next watering. If your orchids have just bloomed, its an ideal time to repot.

That is my process.  To those of you who toss the plant once the blooms are gone, (who are surprisingly many) its a little more work, but sometimes its nice to get your hands dirty!

So hats off to Costco.  Quite possibly, now EVERYONE can manage to make their orchids live and thrive!

No comments:

Post a Comment